Tora Arem Boys Back in Town This Month
AFTER SPENDING half of last year in Europe and North America, local electronic music band Tora arem are due back in town.
Tora formed in Byron Bay in 2013 and founding members are Thorne Davis on drums, Shaun Johnston on bass guitar, Jo Loewenthal on lead vocals, guitar, and samples, Jai Piccone on vocals and guitar, plus Tobias Tunis-Plant on vocals and synthesiser.
Aside from electronica, they play a new genre called chillwave.
Since then, the quintet has done a couple of quick tours and festival gigs, spending most of the time writing new music.
Band member Jo Loewenthal said the band’s new songs will be more danceable and since Tora started writing songs as a band their songwriting has really progressed.
- Tora’s original sound will remain while their repertoire will contain more upbeat material
- The themes the band touch into have not changed
- Lyrics are always in touch with what band members are feeling at time of writing
- A new as yet unnamed album will be released early 2017
- The new album will contain Tora’s favourites out of a pool of around 30 songs
Tora will be at the Byron Theatre on Saturday, August 27.