Information Briefing Sessions for Council Candidates
LOCAL Government NSW will be providing briefing sessions for intending candidates at the Local Government Election to be held in September 2016.
Byron Shire Council will be hosting two three-hour sessions:
Thursday 21 July
Council Chambers, Station Street, Mullumbimby
10.00am to 1.00pm and 6.00pm to 9.00pm
Enquiries: Lisa Brennan 02 6626 7122
The sessions will enable those interested in becoming a councillor to gain a better understanding of the role and responsibilities as an elected member of Council. At the end of the briefing participants will be able to:
- Identify the key requirements of becoming a councillor
- Recognise how the councillor role fits in with other roles and various levels of government
- Address key expectations and potential challenges in becoming a councillor
- Know how the councillor role fits in with the Integrated Planning and Reporting framework
- Understand key elements of council meetings, including code of conduct and conflict of interest.