Byron Shire Provides Extra Bins for Christmas Rubbish
THERE’S NO need for Byron Shire residents to worry about what to do with the boxes, wrapping, bottles and general waste this Christmas/New Year holiday period.
Byron Shire Council will provide extra (urban domestic) bin collections this year to help households cope with the waste and recyclables that accumulate during the festive season.
For two weeks from Monday 25 December to Sunday 7 January, residents can place all three bins on the kerbside for weekly collection.
Byron Shire Council’s Team Leader Resource Recovery, Lloyd Isaacson said the need for extra waste services increases at Christmas and New Year.
“People often have visitors and people are socialising more and while our residents do a great job recycling and reducing their waste, at this time of year there can be a lot more to contend with,” Mr Isaacson said.
“That’s why Council has introduced the extra collection services this year.
“We understand that it’s a busy time for people, but we encourage the community to continue to reduce, reuse, recycle even when the extra collections are provided.”
Mr Isaacson said that people should mark the extra collections services on their calendars now so they don’t forget.
“We will be reminding people as Christmas gets closer but if a bin is not out for collection we are not able to send our trucks back,” he said.
If you need a reminder about what can be recycled and composted in the Byron Shire check out the recycling and composting pages on the Byron Shire Council website.
For more information call the Resource Recovery Hotline on 1300 652 625.
Christmas bin collection tips
- Bin collections will go ahead even if the collection day falls on a public holiday.
- To ensure your bins are collected please place all three at the kerbside the night before your normal collection day and leave them there until they are emptied.
- Where there is space, place your three bins side-by-side at the kerbside.
- If there is not enough room for all three bins to sit side-by-side, place the red landfill bin at the front and recycling and organics bins at least one metre behind it.
- Park your cars in driveways and garages if possible to give collection trucks more room.
- Take your bins in ASAP after they have been emptied.